Snow Canyon, Utah

Snow Canyon, Utah

Friday, July 4, 2014

I Feel Patriotic!

The 4th of July has long been one of mine and my family's favorite holidays. It's right up there with Christmas. I was raised to appreciate the sacrifices of great men that came before us and for what they did to ensure the blessings of liberty to the people of our generation and generations to come. I was raised to appreciate the military and their sacrifices for my freedom. I was raised to honor the flag and for what it stands for. 

I'm one patriotic kid! I love celebrating Independence Day. I love reading through the Declaration of Independence. I read those words over and over: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I'm entitled to those. And it feels good. I love singing the Star Spangled Banner with my hand over my heart. We are all so different, but when the crowd rises and removes their hats and thousands of people become silent in respect for Old Glory, we are all united. 

Spending time with family and friends in celebration of Independence Day has a special feeling. Maybe it's the unspoken understanding that we are united as Americans. Perhaps it's the knowledge of what happened on this day, 238 years ago. No one can quite put their finger on it, but we all feel it. Happy Birthday America!


No comments:

Post a Comment